Monday, October 8, 2012

Holy, Moly!

I had my girls get together last Friday night and I hosted.  I always like doing that, as it gives me a reason to make some delicious food.  The hit of the night was "Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta."  Holy Moly, it is so good.  So good, I had to make more the next day, and put in on a grilled pepper turkey sandwich.  Here is is from the Oprah magazine:

6 oz feta cheese crumbled
2 oz cream cheese at room temperature (I used fat free)
2/3 cup olive oil divided
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt
pepper
2 Tbsp pine nuts
2Tbsp shallots
2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 lbs tomatoes 1/2 inch diced
3 Tbsp fresh basil
1/2 " baguette slices toasted

Place feta and cream cheese in a bowl and mix, I just used my mixer.  Add 1/3 c olive oil,(I will use a little less next time, just because that is alot of oil) lemon juice and 1/2t salt 1/4 t pepper. Mix until smooth and refridgerate until ready to use.
Place pine nuts in a dry saute pan and cook over low heat until lightly browned. Set aside
For tomato topping, combine shallots, garlic and vinegar and let sit 5 minutes.  Whisk remaining olive oil, 1 t sal,t and 1/2 t pepper in.  Add tomatoes and stir. Add basil. 
To assemble spread baguette with cheese mixture and top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with pine nuts. 
OH, so good!

For the sandwich, I just used french bread, peppered turkey, and then the tomatoes and feta mixture.  Then grill.

Good things:
1. whipped feta
2. Girls night
3. lunch the next day

No comments: