Monday, October 21, 2013

Tournament of Talent

I have a good friend who has to have a bone marrow transplant.  In August, I saw that she and her family were asking for financial help through an organization online.  So I asked if I could do a fundraiser for her.  Although she wanted to say no, her family said yes.  Shelly is an amazing person.  I served with her for over six years in young women's and grew to love and respect her in so many ways.  She has worked at the school through all of my kids, and everyone just loves Shelly.  I knew people would want to help.  So I contacted some people who "get things done," and Tournament of Talent, was born.

The event took place on Saturday, and I was so happy with the results.  It was similar to American Idol.  People auditioned with any talent for a fee, fourteen were chosen to move on to the actual events, then tickets and advertising were sold.  The audience chose the winner by paying for additional votes.  We also had concessions and a live auction of a date with a young man for dinner.  Unfortunately, it was not sold out, but we were able to raise over $6500 for the Shelly. 

I was so impressed with our community, and the very generous donations of so many people.  Also impressive, was the talent, and the many people who helped with this event.  So many donated time, services, and food. It was so exciting to see the community come together and help.  What amazing and capable people I had to work with.  Thank you, Thank you to all who helped in even the smallest way.  It takes a village to pull something like this off, and I was honored to be a part of it, and see first hand how kind, caring, and generous people are.  Today, I hear of a shooting just sixty miles away, and think what is this world coming to? But then I remember the previous weeks of planning and kindness of people on Saturday, and realize there is still good in the world.  We just have to look for it.

Good things:
1. Communities that come together
2. Generous people
3. Friends who have touched my life.

No comments: