Sunday, October 4, 2009

When was the last time YOU went to the temple?

A few weeks ago I had a complete meltdown. You know, the kind you stomp your feet, yell, and holler, and can't talk to anyone kind. And yes, it was all about the same stuff it always is...kids not picking up after themselves, and all of their stuff oozing into my living space. You would think that after having children for 17 years I would finally be over it. I AM NOT! I can only take so much, and then I have one of those tantrums. It always happens the same way...I go upstairs. (that is a forbidden area for me at my house) I am not talking about a little clutter. This is the kind of clutter that if my whole house looked this way, my children would be taken away. Funny that it is the children that cause the problem. Anyway, I was not at all happy about it, and was not easy to live with for several days. Finally after having calmed down, (days later) and taken the vow to never go up again, I was discussing my ranting and raving episode with D. He very calmly said, "When was the last time you went to the temple?" I will be the first to admit, that I am a much better mom and wife when I am going to the temple regularly. So that only leads to the question, "What would have happened if I hadn't gone to the temple?" That is frightening to think about. I guess I just better keep going.

Good Things:
1. going to the temple
2. kids who can see the difference
3. my living space

6 comments:

Amy said...

I have those tyraids (sp?) ALL THE TIME! In fact, just 10 minutes ago! Mine was games the kids played all day yesterday (about 15 different kinds) all mixed together in their bedroom! TOTALLY there with you....although I can't picture you throwing a fit about anything, Terra! Have fun at the temple! Wish I could go with you! ;-)

thorkgal said...

I'm in the same club girl. Add 14 credits and a partime job to the mix... plus, the economy hit to the art market and that is what kind of crazy I have been. I WILL be at the temple this Friday even if it's to do a few I. names.

It's always nice to know, we're not alone. :)

Janetlee said...

So glad to hear you are human. I want to say to times that by 2 and you get 6 children leaving their junk in every area of the house but the tantrums sound about the same. It feels a lot like percieved injustices taking place time and again until finally you have to stand up and say NO MORE! But then reality hits and you come to understand life repeats itself....over and over....until we learn to handle it better. I read a book that said, "If you can really accept that life is hard, it gets easier."

Heidi said...

Can I say again how much I LOVE that D?! He is so perceptive and just good to the very core. I am so glad that you and your family are part of our lives. We are better people because we have your friendship and example. Thank you.

btw...have you ever read Parenting with Love and Logic? I was re-reading last night and realizing just how illogical and unloving I am at times...I suppose we all are now and again. Anyhow...it's a good read and I hope re-reading is really going to help me to take the tantrums out of my parenting.

The Crandalls said...

I think that I am currently having one of those things you call tantrums. Unfortunately my kids don't understand so Brian gets to deal with me. Good Luck with the Temple. i need to go more often

Sue said...

amen!