Thursday, April 29, 2010

Where I Come From...

Take a look at how I grew up. At Petunia's Patch blog. She is my sister. This is what we did growing up every spring. For those of you who are city folks, it is called branding - when you put your brand on them, (with a hot iron) vaccinate them, dehorn them, ear tag them, and make the bulls into steers. We also take the cattle to the hills - actually driving them with horses - not trucks - to where they graze for the summer. In the fall we would bring them back home, and put them in a field nearby for the winter months. When I was younger, I rode with them some because it was a day off school to help. But as I got older I liked it less, and would sooner prefer to help with the meal my mom always brought to the hungry cowboys. And although my sister and I are alike in many ways, this is one area we aren't,she loves it, and as you can tell, still wants to grow up to be a cowboy. I still don't know what I want to be...do I have to decide yet?

4 comments:

Beth said...

lol. No, you don't have to decided what you want to be yet...after all, I'm older than you are and I haven't decided yet.

Loved the photos your sister posted. I could enjoy that...except for the dehorning and castrating and branding. Oh, and riding the horse would kill my hips. But I could enjoy that.

And yes, I'm ready for some quidditch.

Amy said...

I love hte picture of all the cows going down the road. Makes me feel like I wanna be a cowgirl!

Unknown said...

I am with you on that. Every time I have talked to her around branding time she is concerned that she won't get called or she will have something that day. I always tell her she will be able to go. Me I could care less. But either way, its okay

thorkgal said...

Are you kidding? You are a terrific mom, and have been a teacher and great example to many young women. That is what you've grown up to be without even trying.