Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Charity!

So, I have been thinking....(feel free to tune out now.)

I have been thinking alot of about charity, the pure love of Christ, and the atonement.  And although my new calling in the stake Relief Society has probably led me to continue my thoughts, it has been on my mind for quite awhile. 
What I have come to realize is I have soooo far to go.
I have always believed in the atonement, and known it is real and necessary to return and live with my Heavenly Father.  But over the last while, I have actually seen it in action.  I have been able to see an actual change in countenance, a light come into someones countenance that I didn't realize was missing until I saw the light.  That was amazing to me.  Also, I have had sincere concern for this person's life, the unhappiness brought to the individual and those around them.  I have worried about progress being made, and them being happy in the future.  I truly want the best for this person.   I found this interesting, as this person is not a member of my family, and I questioned my capacity to love.  I have caught a glimpse of how Heavenly Father must feel about each of us.  How he really wants the best for us, and is ready and willing to offer it to us if we live up to our end of the bargain.  So, my conclusion is that, real charity is wanting the best for everyone, and doing our best to help them get to their best, and be their best, and then not being threatened when they are reaping happiness. We are all just trying to do the very best we can with the knowledge we have.  I just hope I can continue to have glimpses to keep me working to get there.

Good Things:
1.  the charity of others towards me
2.  the atonement
3.  glimpses

2 comments:

Beth said...

Where's the "like" button? Great thoughts on charity. Thanks.

thorkgal said...

A testimony of the atonement is complicated. I've had to find that out for myself this year, the more I learn, ....I realize I will never understand. Being a parent helps us understand our saviors love and being a parent of a wayward child is a whole other ball game. I'm just glad I can turn over my sorrows and burdens to the Lord.